Dance On Film ~ African Dance: Sand, Drum, and Shostakovich
- Library Hall
An award-winning film by Alla Kovgan and Ken Glazebrook
This documentary explores African contemporary dance through eight modern dance companies from Africa, Europe and Canada that participated in the Festival International de Nouvelle Danse in Montreal, Canada. Interviews, including those with dance historians Yacouba Konate and Alponse Tierou, add insight to beautifully-photographed performances. What emerges is a fascinating diversity of contemporary African dance themes and styles. Exploring the interactions between tradition and modernism, the consequences of colonization and urbanization, the self-expression of women through dance, and the roles of masculinity and family relationships, the film is a unique source of information and inspiration for dancers, dance historians, choreographers, critics, as well as those interested in African culture, past and present.
Dance performances and companies include:
- Incantation, Compagnie Danse Nyata-Nyata, Canada/Congo
- Le Coq Est Mort, Compagnie Jant-Bi, Germany/Senegal
- Phokwane, Mpheyane, Vincent Mantsoe, South Africa
- Figninto, Compagnie Cie Salia ni Seydo, Burkina Faso
- Heritage, Compagnie Sylvain Zabli, Ivory Coast
- Uma Historia Da Duvida, Compagnie Clara Andermatt, Cape Verde/Portugal
- Dimi, Compangnie TehZtch, Ivory Coast
- Pour Antigone, Comagnie Mathilde Monnier, France/Burkina Faso/Mali
Run time: 70 min.
About Dance On Film
This Dance On Film series is presented by Bud Werner Memorial Library, Perry-Mansfield and Steamboat Dance Theatre. Perry-Mansfield is the oldest continuously operating arts camp in the United States. Steamboat Dance Theatre is a community dance organization that produces an annual concert in addition to year-round dance scholarships and education programs in Yampa Valley schools. This collaborative and educational dance film series with the Bud Werner Memorial Library features free screenings of the hottest new dance documentaries along with the finest classic dance films from a variety of genres filmed throughout the ages.