READ to Dogs
Mondays, 2-4 pm
June 13 - August 1
Kids who are already reading on their own get a chance to practice reading out-loud to the friendliest, most non-judgmental audience there is -- a trained therapy dog! Kids read by themselves for a 20-minute session with the dog and the dog's owner. Kids should be able to read independently, but not necessarily fluently (usually ages 6 and older). Sign up in advance, this program fills quickly!
Starting Wednesday, June 1, kids can sign up for a 20-minute reading session between 2-4 pm, on Mondays (June 13-August 1). Sign-up at the Kids’ Desk, online, or call, 970-879-0240 x313.
- Limited to four sessions per child per summer
- You may pick your dates and times by registering for all four sessions at once, or upon availability
- If you give us at least 24 hours notice for a cancellation, you can reschedule for another session
- If you do not give us 24 hours notice, or don't show, you can't make up your session and thereby "lose" a session
- We will keep a waitlist, so that coveted slots can be filled if someone cancels.
This program is provided by Heeling Friends of Steamboat Springs. Each READ team, consisting of a dog and their owner, have completed lots of intensive training to be able to be calm and compassionate listeners. Dog owners are skilled in helping kids sound out words and to provide encouragement, as needed.