Join your friends and neighbors in reading Harper Lee's new novel, Go Set a Watchman. Then join us for some very special events celebrating the most anticipated new book of the decade, a sequel to Harper Lee's American classic, To Kill a Mockingbird.
Get the Book ~ A Scavenger Hunt for The Things They Carried
Find your own FREE copy of the book during our community-wide scavenger hunt.
One Book Steamboat kicks off with a scavenger hunt for 10 free copies of "The Things They Carried" hidden around Steamboat Springs. Be the first to figure out a clue and find yourself a free copy of Steamboat’s 2012 community read. Enjoy the book, then join us for all the special events surrounding One Book Steamboat this fall.
Here are the clues for Monday, Oct. 1. Happy hunting!
1. Search the place Post 44 patriots find one another.
2. In 1899, members gathered to share medical benefits and pensions following the Spanish-American War. In 2012, they gather to share a beer.
3. Countless histories of the Vietnam War have been written. Peruse them.
4. Once a power house, now a power lunch.
5. Pass the high flying flag to the place where history is recorded.
6. The water temp is prefect for tea, but the minerals might make it taste like the sea.
7. Mekong floats, mountain treks, culinary tours and history rides. Start planning your trip here.
8. Devour Hanoi’s favorite street food here.
9. Seek the beauty advice of Vietnamese women.
10. Clippings, photos, stories and mementos vast; this is Steamboat’s place to archive the past.
If you don't manage to find one of the scavenger hunt copies of the book...
Bud Werner Memorial Library has extra copies of The Things They Carried available for check out., and Off the Beaten Path Bookstore is stocked with extra copies for sale. Plus, the library has a Carpet Bag Kit of The Things They Carried available for Book Clubs.